East Tilbury is a smaller town within Thurrock. East Tilbury has always been an original parish of Thurrock, but developed largely when Bata Shoes Factories were set up in 1930 along with the workers residential Buildings and in the 1860s, Coalhouse Fort was built to defend against French ships travelling along the Thames and attacking London. Coalhouse fort was then reused in World War II and more modern weaponry was installed to defend against more difficult threats.
Bata’s Residential Buildings are now used as Houses, flats and shops and the Bata Shoes Factories are now used as storage for businesses and on the rest of the Bata Land new businesses have been built.
There are good transport links within East Tilbury, with the Ensign Bus route 374 running through East Tilbury and East Tilbury Village. There is also the East Tilbury Train Station in walking distance of the whole town.
Next to the train station there is Gobions Park, a huge park with a playground, an open field, a half pipe and a bike course. On the other side of the park there is the Scouts Hall, which is used for events and meetings. There is also a sea wall from Coalhouse Fort to Tilbury; this has great use as a bike Path, or a route to have a leisurely stroll on. Then, a bit further away from the Town, there is St Cleres Golf Course, which has a huge driving range, a beautiful 9 hole course and a challenging 18 hole course.